The Community Champions scheme is one of the ways that Lincolnshire Co-op supports the local community, its aim is to make life better in our communities. They’re slightly different to other funders in that there is not a set amount you can apply for. They don’t know how much has been raised until the end of the fundraising period. However, they aim that each charity or community group will receive between £250 – £1,000 (typically £500).
Who can apply?
- Any charity, community group, not-for-profit organisation, school, parish council or company limited by guarantee
- Groups must be located near to one of their branches in Lincolnshire and surrounding counties (if you are not sure then please visit the store finder on their website www.lincolnshire.coop/storefinder).
- They’ll consider regional or national charities where there is a local branch or project.
- All groups must have a constitution and bank account with at least two signatories.
- They give preference to established groups so new causes may be asked to reapply at a later date.
What can groups apply for?
- Items of equipment such as tables, crockery, gardening tools, laptops and tablets, craft materials etc.
- Community events.
- Running costs such as hall hire, insurance, petrol for community car schemes, refreshments etc. however please note they will not pay for wages.
What won’t be considered?
- Any group who has been a Community Champion in the previous two years.
- Political groups or activities.
- Applications from individuals.
- Applications from any business or for-profit organisation.
- Organisations/events whose primary aim is to raise funds to distribute to other charities.
- General contributions to large appeals.
- International charities.
Money for Community Champions is generated by: colleague fundraising, in-store collection boxes, carrier bag proceeds and most importantly – every time a member shops and uses their dividend card a donation goes to their local Community Champion. If successful, you will have the choice of receiving your donation as a cheque, in Lincolnshire Co-op vouchers or a combination of both (50/50).
When choosing their vouchers, They’ll increase your donation by 10% (e.g. £500 would become £550). Cheques and vouchers will usually be sent out within 6 weeks of the end of the fundraising period, please note that they do not issue cheques to an individual’s bank account. Application process Each of their outlets is linked to local Community Champions, these usually change each quarter. The closing date for the quarter you’re applying for will be on the front page of the application form. After the closing date the Lincolnshire Co-op Community Team will shortlist applications.
They will take into account the criteria previously mentioned such as where the group is based and what the money will be used for.
Additionally, if they have large numbers of applications, they may also consider: the number of people supported in the community, how much the project benefits the community and how quickly their money will impact the community. If your application is unsuccessful at this stage, they will let you know whether you are able to reapply again in the future.
As a co-op it’s important to them that their members are given the opportunity to choose the charities they will be supporting. Therefore, applications at this stage will be put to a vote by their members (dividend card holders). Voting takes place online and we’ll notify all groups of the dates of voting so they can encourage their supporters to vote.
On the application form they ask for you to briefly explain, in 60 words or less, what your group does and how you would use the money if successful (they reserve the right to edit). These 60 words will be made public to enable their members to make an informed choice when they vote.
After voting closes they will inform groups of the outcome. They like to support as many groups within their communities, so you may be joint Community Champions in your local branches. In the case of joint Community Champions all money raised will be split equally.
If you’re successful in the voting process, they’ll email you confirmation of which branches will be fundraising for your group.
If you’re unsuccessful they will inform you by email. But you can re-apply for Community Champions in future periods.
It is compulsory that your application is supported by 5 members of Lincolnshire Co-op, the applicant’s membership number can count towards the 5 members. Note: Lincolnshire Co-op member numbers are 6 digits, they don’t accept other co-op membership numbers. Colleague volunteering scheme in addition to raising funds, their colleagues take part in one-off community volunteering days such as gardening in a local park and painting community halls or fences. If you think they could help with a paintbrush or wheelbarrow, please write a brief description of the work you’d like help with. Change of details please inform the Community Team of any changes to your application as soon as possible, this includes all parts of the application. This will help them keep you up to date with your application and enable them to send cheques or vouchers to the correct location.
Email email@example.com or call 01522 544632 to change any details
you can download the application form here: