The evening of Thursday 27th June 2019 saw over 230 people from across the East Midlands gathered for the inaugural East Midlands Charity Awards. The awards took place at the prestigious Crowne Plaza, Nottingham where attendees enjoyed a 3-course dinner and awards presentation.
The Lord Mayor of Nottingham Councillor Rosemary Healy attended the awards, making the closing remarks which was centred around community and collaboration in the sector.
Members of Junior Chamber International Nottingham chamber engaged the audience with a presentation of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. This session highlighted and raised SDG awareness throughout the sector, with many charities already contributing towards this.
The energy was electric in the room with charities from Northampton, Derby, Nottingham, Leicester and Lincoln being represented.
Event Founder, Phoebe Benta said “It was a delight to see such an overwhelming response to the inaugural awards; the atmosphere at the event was inspiring. The collaboration that will take place between charities after this event will be incredible.”
Lincolnshire- based organisations received a number of awards and commendations for their work in the area. Awards judge and Voluntary Centre Services colleague Heather Arantt commented “It was wonderful to see so many Lincolnshire-based organisations represented at the event. There were over 140 entries to the 12 categories so to have nominees from our county in almost all of the categories was a real testament to the hard work of our local groups.” Lincolnshire groups are marked in bold below.
- East Midlands Charity of the Year Winner – Mesothelioma UK
- Small Charity, Big Impact Winner – Lewis Foundation
- Fundraising Team of the Year Winner – Cancer Research UK
- Fundraising Event Winner – Framework
- Outstanding support by SME Winner – Glynis Wright & Co
- Volunteer Team of the Year Winner – First Step ED
- Charity Director of the Year Winner – Ben Slade, SkillForce Development
- Volunteer of the Year Winner – Pauline Hardy, Age UK
- Young Charity Ambassador of the Year Winner – Lizzie Miles, Mesotheliama UK
- Charity Trustee of the Year Winner – John Stokes, Fresh Time UK
- Best Social & Digital Media Winner – DEDA
Raising Stars Winners;
- Small Charity Big Impact, Rising Star – Think 2 Speak
- East Midlands Charity of the year, Rising Star – Age UK
- Fundraising Event of the Year, Rising Star – Nottingham Hospice
- Volunteer Team of the Year, Rising Star – Cancer Research UK
Special Recognition Winner;
- Life Time Achievement, Special Recognition Award Winner – Arnold Michael Hurdley
- Outstanding support by SME, Special Recognition Award – Freshtime UK
East Midlands Charity of the Year, Highly Commended Winners;
- P3 Charity
- Womens Work (Derbyshire) Ltd
- SkillForce Development
Small Charity Big Impact, Highly Commended Winners;
- Junction Arts
- Erewash Canal Preservation & Development Association
- Cauda Equina Syndrome UK Charity
Fundraising Team of the Year, Highly Commended Winners;
- Skill Force Development
- Notts County Football in the Community
- Northampton Hope Centre
Volunteer Team of the Year, Highly Commended Winners;
- Voluntary Impact Northamptonshire
- Guide Dogs Chesterfield
- Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust – Keeping it Wild Youth Team
Charity Director of the Year, Highly Commended Winners;
- Think 2 Speak
- Charity Link
Volunteer of the Year, Highly Commended Winners;
- Daniel Barnett, Forever Stars
- Kelly McCormack
- Louise Hickman, Saras Foundation
Young Charity Ambassador of the Year, Highly Commended Winners;
- Martha Culley, Northampton Hope Centre
- Indy Kiemel-Greene – Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust
Charity Trustee of the year, Highly Commended Winner;
- Julie Oldwill, Forever Stars
Best Social & Digital Media, Highly Commended Winner;
- Cauda Equina Syndrome UK Charity
Outstanding support by Company, Highly Commended Winners;
- Bridge McFarland
Official awards photos are on the East Midlands Charity Awards Facebook Page.
Planning for the East Midlands Charity Awards 2020 is already underway with the hosts confirming they will be hosting the awards for a second year. Nominations for 2020 open in January.
To stay up to date with the latest awards information, or to consider sponsoring the 202 event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or subscribe to the mailing list here.