Match funding can be a really effective way to supercharge your fundraising. More people give and people give more when their donations are matched.
As well as running a number of match funding campaigns which you can apply to (e.g. Christmas Challenge, Green Match Fund), the Big Give platform also allows you to run your own match funding campaign at a time which suits your organisation.
A report commissioned by the Big Give has shown that match funding increases support for charities:
- More people give when their donations are match-funded. 84% of respondents felt that they were more likely to give if matching was offered.
- Some donors give more when their donations are match-funded. The average matched gift made through the Big Give is £333 while the average unmatched gift is £132 and one in three donors said that they gave a larger gift because matching was applied to their donation.
Don’t just take our word for it, you can understand more about the impacts of match funding by reading how some charities have used the Big Give platform this year to leverage support from major donors for match-funding campaigns.
How does it work?
For your own match funding campaign, you will need to provide your own match funds. You can set up and run your campaign at any time of the year and for however long you want it to last (our general advice is 1 to 2 weeks). There are no fees for creating an account with us or running a campaign on our website, we charge a small card processing fee on donations received through the site to cover the card processing costs.
With the financial year end approaching, major donors may be considering their giving strategy for the end of this year and 2022. This provides an opportune time to approach them about using their gift as match funding to incentivise other supporters to give.
If you are interested in running a match funding campaign on the Big Give website, it is easy to set up and launch:
- Log in / Sign up to your account (registration is absolutely free)
- Click on My Campaigns
- Click on Start a new campaign
- Click on Create a match funding campaign
- Fill in your campaign details and submit your campaign
- Once approved by us, you can secure your match funds (pledges) by sharing the pledge form link from your campaign dashboard with your match funders
- Once your campaign has been ended, upload proof of transfer of match funds via your campaign dashboard
You can find further information on running your own match funded campaign here.
Please let us know if you have any questions and we would be happy to help, or if you can arrange a call with us so we can discuss further how a match funded campaign can benefit your fundraising strategy – just drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Big Give Team