Telephone & digital adviser
(between the hours of 8am and 6pm – 7.5hr working day)
Salary: Starting at 17,737
Contract: Temporary (12 months)
Closing date: 8/3/2021
Working within the aims and principles of Citizens Advice, to:
Provide a quality assured telephone, webchat, email and, if required, face to face service to clients as determined by the demands of the generalist advice service and projects as directed by the relevant manager.
To provide a high standard of customer care to all clients who access the service
- Interview clients using sensitive listening and questioning skills in order to allow clients to explain their problem/s and ensure the relevant level of advice is provided.
- Identify key information including time limits, key dates and any requirement for urgent advice.
- If required, support clients to use IT to make new Universal Credit claims and complete benefits checks when appropriate.
- Research and explore options using Citizens Advice resources to find, interpret and communicate the relevant information to clients taking into consideration the complexity of the problem and the client’s ability to make informed decisions and take the next steps themselves.
- Act for the client where necessary using appropriate communication skills and channels.
- Refer internally or externally to other specialist agencies as appropriate.
- Ensure that all work meets quality standards and the requirements of the funder
- Ensure that work reflects and supports the Citizens Advice service’s equality and diversity strategy.
- Maintain detailed case records for the purpose of continuity of casework, information retrieval, statistical monitoring and report preparation.
- Complete the required training to comply with quality assurance processes.
Research and campaigns
- Support our research and campaigns work through various channels including case studies, data collection and client consent.
- Keep up to date with legislation, policies and procedures and undertake appropriate training.
- Read relevant publications.
- Attend relevant internal and external meetings as agreed with the line manager
- Prepare for and attend supervision sessions/team meetings/staff meetings as appropriate.
- Use of telephony and IT equipment for multichannel delivery of advice services.
- Use of IT software for statistical recording of information relating to research and campaigns and funding requirements, record keeping and document production.
- Ensure GDPR compliant training is completed on an annual basis.
- Ensure that all work conforms to our organisation’s systems and procedures.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Carry out any other tasks that may be within the scope of the post to ensure the effective delivery and development of the service including, if required, face to face advice.
- Abide by health and safety guidelines and share responsibility for your own safety and that of colleagues.
- Ability to use sensitive listening and questioning skills to get to the root of the issues and empower clients, whilst maintaining structure and control of interviews.
- Ability to give and receive feedback objectively and sensitively and a willingness to challenge constructively.
- Ability to use telephony and IT systems to deliver services across multiple channels for example webchat and telephone.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team.
- A commitment to continuous professional development, including a willingness to develop knowledge and skills in advice topics as well as monitor and maintain standards for advice provision and quality assurance.
- Ability to commit to and work with the aims, principles and policies of the Citizens Advice service.
- A good up to date understanding of equality and diversity and its application to the provision of advice.
Desirable but not essential
- Knowledge of the benefits systems (including Universal Credit) and the ability to carry out benefit check calculations.
- Basic knowledge of multiple enquiry areas to aid with identifying emergencies and making referrals where appropriate.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and covering letter detailing how you meet each of the 9 person specifications, to email@example.com